Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Kari Single- Digital Illustration- Product Illustration

My product is for a line of indoor tanning lotions. I was initially inspired by the very creative designs by California Tan and mostly Designer Skin, which is the brand I chose. I'm not very happy with the way they turned out because they are very 2-dimensional and there is something missing. I feel like I could've pushed this project a little harder, but unfortunately I had some questions about Illustrator techniques that couldn't be answered. I would've like to have a little more direction and maybe another week in-class to work on this project to make it pop. I was very excited about this project, but also disappointed that our instructor had to leave before this project was complete. Hopefully I will find the time to re-visit this artwork and improve the look for a better portfolio piece.

Classmates: If any of you are really good with Illustrator and can offer me some suggestions/techniques to make my product design improve, please comment to this blog. I am open to suggestions. I would like to give the bottles a more realistic three dimensional look.
Thanks, Kari

3 comments:

Daniel Mascio said...

Hi Kari. For my project I took my pieces into Photoshop and used the Dodge and Burn tools on them to produce the highlights and shadows (respectively). If you were to put a slight shadow along the curve of the bottles I'm sure it would help to make them feel less flat. Perhaps even a highlight or two on the face of the bottles.

Daniel Mascio said...

I forgot to mention...Since I'm assuming all of your bottles have a transparent background: When you take the image from Illustrator and bring it into Photoshop, your transparent background will be preserved. However, after you edit and save your document in Photoshop, if you want to bring it back into Illustrator you must open up a new file (or a clean layer on an already existing file) and go to "File" -> "Place..." If you attempt to do a "File" -> "Open" or "drag-and-drop" the image from Photoshop back to Illustrator, your transparent background will NOT be preserved. Illustrator will instead put a lovely white background which cannot be removed.

Hopefully that makes sense to you. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. =)

Kari said...

Thanks Daniel! I appreciate your feedback. I will try that in Photoshop. I was trying to add the light sources in Illustrator and it just wasn't turning out right. Your project came out great! The reflection on the pots is exactly the look I was hoping for, but didn't know how to achieve it...
See you tonight.